SUPPORT!

Friday, July 16, 2010

killer babies are cool

I knew it was going to be a good night when C. Lavender showed up with disco fries. "Disco fries" are the closest New Jerseyans ever get to the Canadian delicacy of poutine (a slovenly dish with which I am unashamedly obsessed.) Even in Canada, melted mozzarella is often substituted for the fresh, white curds that make poutine special, to say nothing of the fact that Canadian gravy is generally more savory, and the fries themselves crisper and less floppy than the Jersey-diner standard fare. But I do digress.... All the talk of Vancouver on last week's Castle playlist got me a hard hankering for some sweet poutine, or its nearest approximation, so on the way home, I stopped at the famous Tick Tock Diner and got me some muthafuckin' disco fries. Exactly one week later, C. Lavender shows up to play, and immediately runs out to The Flamingo, the foulest of the foul of Jersey City eateries, and returns with—disco fries! Never, NEVER try and tell me that there is not a cosmic order to the universe, as there so very plainly IS.

Lavender's performance was possessed of the grace and consideration I always hope for in a Castle-guest set. She considered the opportunity (that being something more than a live gig, somewhat less than a recording session in earnest), the setting (a radio/music show "about" horror movies), planned a unique presentation, and delivered accordingly. Her set, as yet untitled, will post next week to WFMU's Beware of The Blog and Free Music Archive, the latter posting via my curator portal on the FMA, of which I'm quite proud. In the meantime, you can click on Jennifer's now-very-bloodstained prom dress above to stream last night's full horrorcast™ and also view the playlist and comments there.

Some love was expressed on our playlist (love being, after all, the law) not only for our guest, but also for Twin Stumps, Bee Mask and Habsyll.

No comments:

Post a Comment