SUPPORT!

Friday, July 21, 2017

this show cathartics me resplendently every week

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/73738

Kevin Corrigan, (uncredited) as the soft, hairless, and dull-witted-but-lovable Mercutio to Vincent Gallo's aggro Romeo in Buffalo '66, will take you to the streaming archive of this week's My Castle of Quiet horrorcast™. I don't have to tell YOU that Buffalo '66 is an absolutely perfect movie, a 70s-style Cassavetes homage in tone, with unexpected musical numbers and frozen scenes like pages from one character's book of life; I just watched it again recently, so I'm excited, ok? Plus, any good director shooting in the city of their birth is near-guaranteed to strike gold—it's the home-turf rule of film.

Lots of lively chat and gracious praise on the playlist comments this week, notably for: Breakdancing Ronald Reagan | R. Nikolaenko | Wasteland Jazz Unit | Goblin's dirge from Zombi / Dawn of the Dead (RIP George A. Romero) | Huoripukki | Osculum Infame | SCREECH (LIVE on our show Aug. 8/9) | new Flowers of Evil | Irradiated | Superjoint | Developer | Abstructum | Arca | Jackie Ransom | ...like I said, lots of favorites this week on our different kind of hit parade, and the indulgence of my Butthole Surfers crawl under the covers continues, thanks!

I've also been on an Oshima kick, filling the holes in my viewing of the proto-trangressive Japanese director's filmography, having this week watched both Japanese Summer: Double Suicide and Violence at Noon, the latter being my favorite of the two, but they're both worth watching, if you favor that sort of mid-60s, postwar, b&w Japanese cine-madness.

Next week, special programming; the full-album premiere of Couch Slut's Contempt, their new LP on Gilead Media; thanks to all who helped make this happen, and do join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment