SUPPORT!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Loon jazz.


...Ever notice how ESL speakers, particularly central Europeans, always misspell the word "lose" as "loose," as in the compilation title Electrick Loosers (one presumes an intentionally humorous gaffe)? I've always found it funny, because so often those that society deem "losers" ARE "loose" in one way or another. ...An old Upsala College friend, a guy from Trinidad whose name escapes me, used to call me, "Bill mon, wid da loose clothes'" - so I guess I'm a "looser," too. You see how I did that? Fun with language. English is the best 'cause it's by far the most fucked-up. ...And as to "loon," the avian wonder aside, some of the core group of Krautrockers were/are pretty loony. If you're a fan, you know the personal histories of guys like Klaus Dinger and the guys from Faust, so I won't digress here, but it definitely took a certain, post-WWII combination of hot-mess, counter-cultural personality traits to make such extraordinary music, such that it did not mimic at all the "rock" that was then popular in the West (UK and USA), but bore a personality so distinctly German, for better and for worse, and all great in the end. They were mavericks all. "Muscle and viscera," as I noted on the air.

So last night's Kraut-Out v.2 was fun; oddly I think a huge mistake I made was veering TOO far away from Germany. I wanted to showcase some artists from Italy and France, and I think I just went 1-2 tracks too deep into it. ...That said, I very much enjoyed sharing selections from Eskaton and especially Jacula. ...There was appreciation of some sort for nearly every artist I played, which is great! The best information I can give on each is already there, in the playlist, most-recent releases, etc., so rather than bust out a link for every single item, I'm going to trust that you all have the ability to do a Discogs search, and to hunt these labels down; there are many great labels keeping this music alive and available, some with deluxe vinyl reissues, others with remastered CDs x bonus material, etc. So, apologies for being "lazy," but I'm never quite sure how many people actually read these posts anyway, so rather than write out and hyperlink 80% of the artist names, I leave it to thee. ... Keep your hubby happy, keep your hubby happy, mit Krautenspiel!

You may access the audio archive and playlist by clicking the link in the paragraph above, OR by simply clicking on the image above, from perhaps the finest German science-fiction film EVER, Rainer Werner Fassbinder's World on a Wire, recently restiored on double DVD by The Criterion Collection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other matters. Prison Tatt Records fans can catch us this weekend at the Martyrdoom Festival, two days (Sat. & Sun.) at Saint Vitus Bar in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, with vendors during the day (many of the great labels/records/tapes played regularly on MCoQ will be there), and live bands at night. ... All Prison Tatt label titles and distro items will be available, discounted from their Web-posted prices. ...The BRAND NEW one-sided LP by Nuit Noire, A Beautiful Belief, arrived just in time, so copies will be available for the first time.

Hope to meet you all; see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment