SUPPORT!

Friday, June 23, 2017

I like this music programme

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/73257

Someone recently referred to My Castle of Quiet as a "legendary" program; I mention this because going back, reviewing and assessing my accomplishments, and the history thereof, is something I don't really do. I do enjoy a comment like that, of course, but quietly. It's not as if praise or support or sincere appreciation of what I do, both on and off the radio (as with the Prison Tatt Records label) is something I don't soak up like a Brawny towel, I do indeed, though I am most often stymied for a personal response of any kind. Praise makes me look at the floor and go silent and not know what to say. Which brings me to the Rise William Rise digital collection on Opposite Records.

Some of you may know that I suffered a stroke late last year, and/or that a host of other health issues were unleashed by that incident. The whole house of cards of my health came crashing down in one day. Since then, I've had short-term kidney failure, upper & lower back pain and numbness, trouble holding my head upright, chronic hiccups, and worst of all, ongoing gastrointestinal issues that led to surgery just over one month ago. I'm very much on the mend from most of this now, but there were multiple hospital stays, a crazy amount of tests, and so much blood extracted from me that I could have stocked a Harassor tour.

Shortly after my first hospital stay, Don Sigal, longtime friend and supporter of my My Castle... and Prison Tatt Records, organized and compiled a benefit compilation to help with my medical expenses, and the contributors' list honored and moved me in a way that's so personal, I won't even attempt to describe how I felt. Contributions from good friends, many of whom have been live performers on the show, and/or artists whose music has been featured, even celebrated on the program, add up to a very satisfying compendium of sound art/rock-noise/what have you—a great compilation that I'd like and promote even if its purpose was not to benefit me personally in a time of poor health and unanticipated financial stress.

You can view the contributors and track list, and stream the collection in its entirely here, and I'll embed the bc player below, just to make it easy for all. I'm somewhat restricted, by WFMU's not-for-profit norms, from drawing special attention to the release, a perhaps unfortunate catch-22, though both playing the occasional selection, and promoting/encouraging listeners to buy via the Web are within my prerogative, and most importantly, I'll say again that it's a compilation I'd enjoy and purchase regardless of whether or not it was created in my name. Special accolades to Don, who not only seized upon the most-appropriate title, but also grabbed an image from Beyond The Living, aka Nurse Sherri for the cover (the film that supplies most of the audio for MCoQ's much-beloved weekly show-opening.) I'm humbled, and send tremendous gratitude and love to all involved.



On this week's horrorcast™, praise for: pretty much my all-time favorite Sonic Youth song (that's a great live version @ that link) | yet more Butthole Surfers | Brazen Gate | Bašmu | Samantha Glass | MindSpring Memories | Hijokaidan | Burnt Hair ... other highs included Hypnos (left off our Seed Stock black-metal special last week due to time constraints) | Ungoliant | NEW Nuit Noire | NEW Abstructum

Now, the best movie I watched this past week, perhaps in months, is The Wailing, an anything-goes South-Korean horror epic from the director of the great The Chaser (an absolute classic among Korean thrillers); dark magic, horrid disease & death, demonic possession, occult & demonic forces at war, and one terrifying reanimated corpse (pictured up top) all feature in the crazy quilt of The Wailing's greatness. Click there, on our weekly screen capture, to stream this week's horrorcast in full.

Next week (maybe, still juggling ideas): Noise Bliss-Out #6

No comments:

Post a Comment