SUPPORT!

Monday, July 6, 2009

Sanjulian

As a follow up to yesterday's post on Warren Publishing/Creepy covers, I'd be delinquent not to mention that four of the six covers embedded in my post were created by the great Spanish painter/illustrator Sanjulian, aka Manuel Pérez Clemente.

When I was in my teens, I painted a few creepy canvases, giving them all away to friends. The most memorable of these was a painting of Cerberus guarding the gate at Hades, painted for my dear, sweet, sad, alcoholic friend Mike C. I didn't know it at the time, but I have to say now that those paintings were an unconscious attempt not only to express my own grim aesthetic fascinations, but also to emulate Sanjulian's work.

Clicking on Sanjulian's name above will take you to his online gallery, where some of the artist's work is for sale, and my birthday, the most important of all Satanic holidays, IS approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment